1.21.2009

the 44th

Yesterday history was written. No matter how you voted, or what you've been taught to believe, the optimism of our country yesterday was undeniable. If somehow you weren't connected to any humans or technology yesterday, it was our 44th President's, Barack Obama, inauguration.

To put it out up front, I love politics. This year it hurt that I couldn't vote (my 18th is in April). However, that didn't stop me from gaining as much knowledge as I could about the candidates. This year I have also taken a vow that through my lifetime, who I want to win won't always, but I will ALWAYS stand behind, support, and most importantly, pray for our President. What's an united country divided?

Living in a red state, (and sometimes around ignorant people), there is a lot of "I'll vote Republican til the day I die". My Grandmother, however, is a blue dog democrat. Why? Because her Great-Great Grandaddy was, and what the Democrats stood for then MUST stand for the same now, right? These two kinds of people have made me come up with some options; either I'll vote Green Party and let Ralph Nader FINALLY get his day, or, I'll vote for the CANIDATES instead of party lines.

I already love our first family because they are just that, a family. The Kids Inauguration Concert already made Michelle Obama one of my favorite first ladies. She is a real life Claire Huxtable. An Ivy League graduate, lawyer, servant to her community, but most importantly: a Mom and wife. She is a natural leader who follows her husband in an admirable way. And Malia and Sasha, oh man. They're cuties. It's so exciting to finally see young life back in the White House.
(Obama has also gotten a lot of points from me having Andy Stanley be apart of a prayer service this morning - pretty awesome).

Yesterday if you had the time on your hands to pick apart Obama's speech that you were ticked he quoted George Washington (who apparently had slaves), or you're angry because of color, I have a few words of advice: Get behind a real cause. It's our responsibility as citizens of this country to stand behind him (or her when that day comes) and PRAY for them. He's not Superman. He can't bring all this change himself. But if we take up our call as citizens, and Christ followers, and DO SOMETHING for other people, our country can make a turn for the positive.

No comments: